I'm her Hume Cronyn, she my Jessica Tandy

Friday, August 13, 2004

Hello Hello Hi

This is something I tried on my recent driving tour of the south, which featured a whole lot of minor league baseball, cheap beer, good barbecue, great friends, tons of excellent music (especially Versus and The Positions), weird motels and what was probably the last time I will ever be expected to sing to the confederate flag (God Bless Kodak, Tennessee).

GREET STRANGERS IN REALLY WEIRD WAYS. Submitted by Jill, in San Francisco.
Jill, I have absolutely no idea who you are, but I really like your idea.

#1: In Kodak, TN

me: Yippee tie yie yo! Could I get a nachos, please?
teenage beverage girl: Whuuuut?
me: Can I get some nachos?
teenager: Uh, Ok.

#2: In Nashville, TN

me: Who put the bomp in the bomp shoo bomp shoo bomp? Would you like my extra coupon for a hot dog?
elderly gentleman: (Baffled silence)
me: I ordered these family pack tickets that come with free hot dog coupons, but well, I'm from Wisconsin originally, and I'm getting a bratwurst.
elderly gentleman: You want to give me your coupon?
me: Yep!
elderly gentleman: What was all that you said before?
me: bomp shoo bomp?
elderly gentleman: Yes. When you were going on like that.
me: That's how we say hello in New York.
elderly gentleman: I never did understand how they do things in New York!

#3: Back in Brooklyn

me: Cawwww! Cawwwww!
teenage boy: What the *&;#$% ?