I'm her Hume Cronyn, she my Jessica Tandy

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Let that show

First, I would like to apologize to Ida, for shouting at them multiple times to hurry up and start their encore last night. I haven't eaten much for more than a week, and things are a bit fuzzy. I'm not even sure where I am half the time. Second, it was very nice to see Aden play again, after a long, long absence. It always pleases me that former Senator Gramm produced such a nice, round-headed boy, who sings indie pop.

In yesterday's and today's adventures...

DO THREE NICE THINGS FOR OTHER PEOPLE, suggested by a very nice individual who has requested anonymity.

#1: I was staring at the menu at Uncle Louie G's, trying to decide if some of the new icie flavors would be good or not, when a little boy, about 8 or 9, walked up and ordered a scoop of ice cream. Uncle Louie can be misleadingly expensive, especially when you're a kid. He was a dollar short. He just stood staring at the teenage girl behind the counter with a look that said both, "I'm helpless to change this" and "I REALLY want this ice cream". i had a dollar. hell, i had SEVEN dollars. I stepped up. Smiling at the boy, I put four quarters on the counter. The boy turned to me. "Thank you very, very much," he said, with as much dignity as a British Duke. It was sweet. It made me giggle. "It was my pleasure," I told him. I watched him walk off, scooping up his ice cream in giant spoonfuls. I can't wait to meet my new third graders.

#2: There are little leagues of older people in this neighborhood, who spend hours a day on their stoops or in lawn chairs commiscerating. They're wonderful. One particular groups sits out on chairs talking about their children and grandchildren and if it will or won't rain. If you ask, they're glad to tell you about the old days in the neighborhood, when an apartment on Union street was $75 and the kids played stoop ball and everyone hated the Korean man who worked at one of the delis because he fiddled with the scales and cheated them out of money. They have a little frumpy dog, some mutty blend that probably includes Lhasa Apso. I've never seen that dog move. I wondered if it would like a walk. "I'll take your dog on a walk around the block, if you want" I told the lady. They all stared at me like I had asked them in Arabic. "You know, for a little excercise. I have to run an errand anyway." "That's nice, honey," she said finally. The dog, Albert, didn't even own a leash. "Maybe I should tie a string to his collar, so he won't run away?" I asked. "Oh, he won't run away. He'll just follow you." Which he did, when I called him, for about 20 feet. Then he turned around and looked balefully at his owners and the others in their lawn chairs. "Go on, go on! You'll be ok, give it a try!" they all urged, like parents trying to detach a five year old from their leg on the first day of kindergarten. Albert obeyed. He followed me around the corner and past the pizza place and up to the dry cleaners. And then he stopped. And sat. And wouldn't budge. "Come on Albert, baby, good boy!" I urged, showering him the terms of endearment. "Sweetie Pups, peach pie, dog, let's go." But Sweetie Pups had a different plan in mind. A kid on the corner tried to give him some potato chips to move, but he just moved to eat the chips and then sat down solidly again. Passers by smirked. Finally, I picked him up. He cuddled right in and licked my chin. It was a victory lick. "Damn dog", I muttered and staggered back to his corner, trying to avoid his breath. Around the corner from his street, I set him down. "No messing around now Albert, LET'S GO." The little cheater trotted right up to the senior league and jumped up on his owner's lap. "How was his walk," she crowed. "Good," I said. "It was good."

#3 This one hasn't happened yet. Tonight, I want to take Mr. Key out to dinner. Mr. Key, so-named because he was first spotted peeing on a truck in front of Key Food, is a familiar and elderly neighborhood sight. I'm not sure where he lives. He's outside in the neighborhood, all day, every day, and he always very sweetly says hello. If he'll let me, I'm going to let him choose the restaurant and treat him. If it works out, update to follow tomorrow.

*These adventures typed while listening to Donovan purr and a Joanna Newsom album.